A family favorite cookie recipe at Christmas are Chinese New Year Cookies. My mother use to bake these for the family at Christmas. She found the recipe in either a cookie book or a magazine many, many years ago. My mother was forever bring home those small cookbooks that you see in the grocery stores. She had so many cookie ones. I always remember baking with her as a young girl at Christmas time. Some of my best childhood memories are around the holiday season.
This holiday cookie is a easy no bake cookie. It takes approximately 15 minutes from start to finish. It’s sure to be a holiday pleaser on the dessert tray.
Melt the morsels together in a double boiler. I made my own double boiler by putting water (1/4 of the pot with some water) and a smaller pot on top. The pot on top is deeper than how it appears in the photo. I will stir over low heat until the chocolate and butterscotch morsels are melted.
Stir in the Chinese Noodles, one can at a time until well coated. Add the next can and mix well. I tend to push down on the noodles to smash them some. It breaks them up a little more.
Next add the cocktail peanuts. Normally, I buy the ones with out any skins. They were fine like in the photo. Sometimes you have to use what is on hand in the stores. Stir the peanuts into the cookie mixture until well coated.
Now the cookie mixture is ready to be dropped on to either wax paper, parchment paper or aluminum foil to cool. It is your preference on the sizes of the stacks. I tend to drop a tablespoon of cookie mixture at a time onto the aluminum foil. The chocolate will darken as it cools.
Allow the cookies to cool for 45 minutes to one hour. Remove the cookies from the aluminum foil or paper and store in Ziploc bags or air tight containers. You can freeze these cookies. Remove approximately 15 minutes from the freeze before serving.
These are an easy and simple cookie to make for your family and friends. Hope you enjoy! Let me know if you make them.
For my White Lilac Farmhouse Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe, you can find it here.Print Recipe
Chinese New Year Cookies
- Double Boiler
- Wooden Spoon
- 22 oz Nestles Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels (chips)
- 11 oz Nestles Butterscotch Morsels (chips)
- 2 5 oz Cans of Chinese Noodles (Cruncky Chow Mein Noodles)
- 1 cup Cocktail Peanuts
- Melt Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels and Butterscotch Morsels (Chips) together in the top pot of the double boiler.
- Once the morsels have melted, stir in one can at a time of the Chinese Noodles. I will smash the noodle slightly with my wooden spoon to break them while stirring into the chocolate mixture. Add the next can of Chinese Noodles and stir until will coated.
- Add one cup of cocktail peanuts and stir into the cookie mixture until will coated.
- Remove pot from double boiler.
- Drop by tablespoons to form stacks onto either waxed paper or aluminum foil to cool.
- Let cool for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Place cookies in sealed containers or Ziploc Freezer or Storage bags. Cookies can be placed in the freezer. Just remove 15 minutes before serving.