Fall is a beautiful time of year, and there is no better way to celebrate the season than to decorate your home with warm, inviting colors and textures. One of the easiest places to start is with your mantel. Here are some fall mantel decor ideas on a budget.
With a little creativity, you can create a stunning fall mantel display. Let me share with you some of my tips on transforming a mantel to fit your budget.
Over the years, repurposing what I have in my seasonal decorations has worked to create new vignettes in my home including my mantel.
Storage can be an issue if you are living in a smaller space. Repurposing or recycling décor items that you have helps to not only your budget by saves storage space too.
What can I use to decorate my mantel?
You can use just about anything on your mantel. Some of my favorite items to use are:
- Books with or without spines
- Candles, candleholders, hurricanes, or lanterns with battery timed candles
- Faux foliage
- Faux or dried flowers
- Vases in various sizes and texture
- Ironstone Pitchers
- Empty frames leaning in front of a mirror or hung with a wreath in the center
- Book ends
- Statues, head bust
- Faux pumpkins, pinecones, floral picks, etc.
- Elements from nature
You can see the list can go on and on. There are lots of possibilities for creating a display on your mantel.
- Shop your house
- Keep a cohesive look by selecting a color palette
- Use items with different heights and sizes to create visual interest
- Layering items with different textures
- Greenery or flowers to bring in som+e color
- Add a homemade garland
- Try adding some natural elements like pinecones, branches, feathers, dried flowers, acorns, moss, etc. items that you can forage from your yard.
Pro Tips – Décor Ideas:
1. Shop your home – Let’s have some fun!
Grab a large basket and begin by taking a look around your home for items for your fall mantel decor. Look for items such as books, candles, hurricane, candlesticks, mirrors, wreathes, tall vases, ginger jars, lanterns, etc. Anything that can be used to create layers that will be visually appealing.
Remember to select items in various heights and textures too!
2. Shop local thrift stores, yard sales and flea markets.
These are great places to find unique and affordable fall decorations. You can find vintage items and artwork that can add a touch of personality to your mantel. Some of my best items have been found at flea markets and thrift stores.
3. For décor ideas and items, shop the clearance section at HomeGoods, Target, etc.
Both of the blue and white ginger jars were snagged at HomeGoods. They had clearance stickers on them and nothing wrong with them. They were more than half the price of a new one.
4. It is fine to change out just a few items for the season.
This season, only a few items were changed out for the fall. A few glass pumpkins were added along with a handmade garland and a few picks. It is perfectly fine not going overboard but redoing your entire mantel.
5. DIY Décor Ideas
There are many easy DIY fall mantel décor ideas that you can do on a budget. Here are a few of my favorite DIY Fall Project ideas. Just click on the links for my step by step tutorials:
- Pumpkin Garland
- Leaf Garland
- Mirror Makeover
- Decorating a Cloche
- Easy DIY Moss Topiary
- Pumpkin Makeover
The possibilities can be endless. No matter what your budget is, there are many ways to create a beautiful and festive fall mantel display. The key is to get creative and have fun decorating. You will be amazed what you find in your closet or in the basement. If you are like me, I forget about things on hand until opening up my fall container.
Also remember, it is fine to keep it simple. If you are a busy mom on the go and time is limited, keep it simple. It could be a fun weekend project for the children to help you forage items to use. A hurricane or glass vase is perfect to hold acorns or pinecones.
Twigs from the yard with punched paper leaves and some glue makes a wonderful project for little hands. A terra cotta pot with twigs glued to it and a inexpensive house plant is another fun project small hands can make too.
May your day be filled with happiness, my sweet friend!