I have a wonderful recipe to share with you. This post is all about how to make the most amazing hot cocoa!
It starts with a good recipes and fun toppings. Ever since I was a child my mother made homemade hot cocoa. Some people call it hot chocolate and others call it hot cocoa.
So what is the actual difference between Hot Cocoa and Hot Chocolate?
Hot Cocoa is made from cocoa powder, sugar, and milk. It tends to be sweet and consistency lighter when using cocoa powder. Hot Chocolate on the other hand is made with melted chocolate added to hot milk. It has a tendency to be richer and denser. Instead of cocoa powder, you would use melted chocolate with hot milk. It’s a personal preference. I have made both over the years.
This recipe I have perfected over the years. It is creamy, rich in flavor and delightful. It’s not too sweet.
This jar does not contain instant hot chocolate mix. It holds my homemade hot cocoa mix ready to go minus the wet ingredients (milk, cream and good pure vanilla extract).
I love creating a Hot Cocoa /Hot Chocolate Bar every year during the holiday. My grandchildren love all of the options available for their toppings. Each year I try to change it up adding new stuff. You can read about my Hot Cocoa Bar from last year here.
This year I have Peppermint Bark from Heritage Chocolates at local store to us in Leonardtown Square. They make the most amazing candies. I also have some homemade marshmallow squares purchased in Leesburg, VA over the weekend.
My favorite are either a candy cane or Nonpareils in my Hot Cocoa and always marshmallows and topped with whipped cream.
There is nothing like a great cup of amazing hot cocoa on a chilly day. It just warms you up!
How amazing does this mug of hot cocoa look?
Believe me when I tell you that this mug is full of deliciousness!
How To Make The Most Amazing Hot Cocoa
- 1/3 cup Unsweetened Hershey Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup White Granulated Sugar
- 3 1/2 cups Milk
- 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream Option Substitute for Half-and-Half
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract Use a good vanilla extract not imitation.
- 2-3 dashes Ground Cinnamon
- A pinch of Cayenne Pepper (optional – does not make it spicy, it enhances the chocolate)
- 1 Can Whip Cream
- Peppermint Candy Canes or Sticks
- Nonpariels, Cookies, Shaved Chocolate, Peppermint Bark, Sprinkles, etc.
- Combine coca powder, sugar, milk, heavy whipping cream, vanilla, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper in a saucepan. Stir well to blend all ingredients.
- Cook over med to low heat and simmer to bring to a slow boil. You will need to stir constantly so you do not scorch your milk.
- Makes 4 large mugs of Hot Cocoa. Top with Whip Cream and your favorite toppings.
WHERE TO GET THE GOODS!
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. The opinions here are all my own. It helps me to continue to bring to you DIY and projects on my blog.
CHECKOUT SOME OF MY Holiday RECIPES & Projects
- White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies
- Apple Crisp Easy Recipe
- White Lilac Farmhouse Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Three Beautiful & Simple DIY Mini Christmas Trees
- Snowman Wood Sign for Christmas
- Farmhouse Christmas Décor
- Christmas Decorations Ideas
- Easy Handmade Holiday Ornaments
Thank you, friend for stopping by the blog today. I hope you found some good inspiration on today’s post. Please follow me on Facebook at White Lilac Farmhouse, on Instagram @whitelilacfarmhouse, on LKT at white_lilac_farmhouse, Pinterest, YouTube and Twitter.
Have a wonderful day, friend!