You have not had a true crab cake until eating Maryland Crab Cakes. In Southern Maryland, we serve Maryland Crab Cakes with Homemade Coleslaw.
What sets Maryland Crab Cakes part from others crab cakes across the US are two main things: 1) Maryland Blue Crabs; and 2) very little fillers. An true authentic Maryland Crab Cake is made with very little fillers. We do not use breadcrumbs. To bind the Crab Cake, there are a few tricks without packing it with breadcrumbs.
Today I’m participating in End of The Summer Recipes hop hosted by Pasha from Pasha Is Home. Thank you Pasha for including me. Some of my very talented friends and I will be sharing our favorite summer recipes with you!
If you are coming over from my friend Renae from Peacock Ridge Farm, I am so glad you’re here! She has The Best Summer Shrimp Salad. I cannot wait to give it a try!
Maryland Crab Cakes with Homemade ColeslawJump to Recipe
Summer time we love getting Maryland steamed crabs. With the leftovers, I will pick the crabs for the lump crab meat to make crab cakes. You can purchase the lump cake meat.
To make our crab cakes, we try to use as little fillers as possible. The center stage is the Maryland Blue Crabs lump crab meat.
This recipe is a favorite of my family and friends!
AUTHENTIC Maryland Crab Cakes (little filler)
You are going to drain your lump crab meat first if it has been bought.
In a large mixing bowl, add lump crab meat.
I tend to mix everything in the same bowl. Add 1 egg, 1/2 cup of mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire Sauce and parsley (fresh or dried).
Next grate the lemon rid and place the zest into bowl. With the same lemon, cut in half and squeeze approximately 1 tablespoon on lemon juice into the mixture.
Old Bay Seasoning is a must for this recipe. There is no substitute! Add 1 and 1/2 generous teaspoons of Old Bay Seasoning to the mixture. Add the 14 crushed saltines and 1 tablespoon of flour.
Important: With a wooden spoon or spatula, gently fold the ingredients into the lump crab meat. You do not want to break down the crab meat or over work the mixture.
Bake or Fried (your preference)
My husband loves crab cakes on Brioche rolls. If you are not making them as sandwiches, you can skip this step.
A tablespoon of butter is added to the frying pan. Over low heat brown the bottom of the tops. Repeat for the tops of the bottom of the rolls and set aside. You can set-aside the Brioche rolls.
You will divide the mixture to form six crab cake thick mounds. Do not flatten into patties.
Place the crab cakes on flat plate and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30-45 minutes before cooking. This step will help the crab cakes to bind.
The crab cakes can be baked in the oven or pan fried.
Bake in Oven Method: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place crab cakes on a greased pan with butter or olive oil. Bake the crab cakes in the oven for 12-14 minutes or until the edges of the crab cake are lightly browned.
Pan Fry Method: Place Crab Cakes in a greased large frying pan. You can use butter or olive oil. You will cook the crab cakes on each side for approximately 5-6 minutes on each side. Carefully flip the crab cakes over.
Don’t these crab cakes look amazing!
You can serve your crab cakes alone or on a Brioche Roll with fresh tomato slices and lettuce with a slide of Homemade Coleslaw.
My favorite is coleslaw on top of my crab cake! Try this coleslaw recipe on top of Pulled Pork or Barbeque!
Be sure to drop over to see my friend, Melaine of My Sweet Savannah Easy Pickled Onions. She has the most amazing recipes on her blog. You will love her blog.
I bet her Easy Pickled Onions would be wonderful on my crab cakes!
Tasty and Delicious End of Summer Recipes
Easy Pickled Onions // My Sweet Savannah
A Super Easy Chocolate Chip Dessert Recipe // Pasha is Home
How to Make the Best and Simple Mexican Crock Pot Meal for Your Family // Robyn’s French Nest
How To Make the Best Blueberry Buckle // Cottage in the Mitten
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins With Streusel // Midwest Life and Style
Blackberry Recipe Bursting WIth Flavor // White Arrows Home
My Favorite Summer Dinner Idea // Truemans Treasures
Best Mixed Drink With Rum for Summer // Bricks ‘n Blooms
The Best Summer Shrimp Salad // Peacock Ridge Farm
Maryland Crab Cakes With Homemade Coleslaw // White Lilac Farmhouse
Did you enjoy this recipe? PIN it for later!
Maryland Crab Cakes
- 16 Ounces Maryland Lump Crab Meat
- 1 egg Beaten
- 2 TSP Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Mayonnaise
- 2 TSP Dried Parsley or Fresh Chopped Parsley
- 1 1/2 TSP Old Bay Seasoning No substitute
- 14 Crushed Saltine Crackers
- 1/2 TSP Grated Lemon Rind
- 1 TBS Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 TBS All-purpose flour
- In a large mixing bowl, add lump crab meat. Add all of the ingredients and fold in gently so you do not break down the lump crab meat.
- You will divide the mixture to form six crab cake thick mounds. Do not flatten into patties.
- Place the crab cakes on flat plate and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30-45 minutes before cooking. This step will help the crab cakes to bind.
- Your crab cakes can either be baked in the oven or pan fried.
- Bake in Oven Method: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place crab cakes on a greased pan with butter or olive oil. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned on the top and around the edge of the crab cake.
- Pan Fry Method: Place Crab Cakes in a greased large frying pan. You can use butter or olive oil. You will cook the crab cakes on each side for approximately 5-6 minutes on each side. Carefully flip the crab cakes over.
- Serve with Homemade Coleslaw or tartar sauce.
- Garnish with a lemon wedge.
- Storing Leftovers: Keep uneaten crab cakes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also freeze cooked crab cakes for 2-3 months. Thaw and reheat in the microwave or in the oven at a 350 degrees until hot.
- Freezing Instructions: Uncooked crab cakes can be frozen for 2-3 months. Wrap them in a layer of plastic wrap and place into a Ziplock Freezer Bag. To bake, you should thaw in the fridge overnight and bake as directed the next day.
Easy Homemade Coleslaw
- 1 14 oz. Package Coleslaw Mix
- 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 TSP Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 1/2 TBS Granulated White Sugar
- 1/2 TSP Celery Salt
- Pour Coleslaw mix into a large bowl.
- In separate bowl combine mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar and celery salt. Mix well to create the coleslaw dressing.
- Pour the coleslaw dressing over the Coleslaw mix and stir well until all ingredients are well blended.
- You can serve immediately or store in the refrigerator. This make a great side dish. Perfect to serve on top of crab cakes or pulled pork sandwiches.
Other favorite summer recipes
Thank you for visiting my blog today. Please subscribe to my newsletter. You can also follow me over Facebook at White Lilac Farmhouse, on Instagram @whitelilacfarmhouse, on LTK at white_lilac_farmhouse, Pinterest, YouTube, Tiktok, and Hometalk.
Make it an amazing day, sweet friend!