Are you going to a cookout this weekend and need a side dish? Try this recipe, the best Frog Eye Salad. It’s perfect for summer.
Don’t let the name scare you! Believe me when I tell you it is D-E-L-I-C-O-U-S!Jump to Recipe
My mother has been making this recipe for years. Everyone always asks her to make it during the summer time at family gatherings.
It can be a side dish or a dessert. It is very similar to ambrosia salad except it adds tiny Acini di Pepe Pasta. That’s how it this recipe get’s the name “Frog Eye”. The tiny little pasta are round like a frog’s eye. It’s fluffy yet creamy with mandarin oranges, pineapples, coconut, mini marshmallows, whipped cream, pasta, etc. It packs some great flavor without being super sweet. That’s what I love most about this recipe.
This dish is perfect for cookouts, potlucks, showers, and family gatherings. It’s sure to become a favorite dish!
It is one of my favorite summer dishes. We served it as a side dish for the bridal shower on Saturday and got rave reviews.
Affiliates links are used in this post. Read my full disclosure here.
Frog Eye Salad
- 1 box Acini di Pepe Pasta (16 oz)
- 1 can Pineapple Tidbits (20 oz) in juice not syrup Drain but reserve the juice to make the sauce.
- 1 can Crushed Pineapple (20 oz) in juice not syrup Drain but reserve the juice to make the sauce.
- 2 cans Mandarin Oranges (15 oz) Drained
- 2 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 8 oz Cool Whip
- 1 cup Sweeten Coconut
- 1 bag Miniature Marshmallows
- 3/4 cup White Sugar
- 1 large Egg
- 1 tbs Cornstarch
- Maraschino Cherries – garnish optional
- Prepare the pasta according the the instructions on the box. You will cook for 6 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the pasta in cold water to prevent the pasta from sticking. After it has cool, you can place it in the refrigerator.
- Drain the crush pineapple and reserve the juice. You need to make sure the crush pineapple is well drained. Add to a bowl.
- Drain the pineapple tidbits and reserve the juice. Add the pineapple tidbits to the bowl with the crush pineapples.
- Drain the Mandarin Oranges and discard the juice from the oranges. You can add the oranges to the bowl with the pineapple mixture.
- Pour the pineapple juice in to a medium pot. Remove one tablespoon of the juice and set it aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg, with lemon juice, one tablespoon of juice and the cornstarch. Pour mixture in with the pineapple juice.
- Mix in the white sugar in the the pineapple juice and egg mixture. Begin cooking the mixture over medium heat until the sauce thickens. You will need to stir constantly so it will not burn. Allow the mixture to completely cool (approximately 30 minutes.Once the sauce has completely cooled, pour over the pasta.
- Add the drained fruit into the cooled pasta mixture. Gently stir to mix it.
- Gently fold in the coconut and marshmallow.
- Gently fold in the Cool Whip.
- Cover and refrigerate over night or at least 2-3 hours. You want it well chilled.
- Garnish with Maraschino Cherries
This another crowd pleaser and perfect for cookouts.
I love a good cookie. These Potato Chip Cookies are easy to make and disappears fast off the plate.
May you have a wonderful day, sweet friend!